There is a time when everyone faces the same difficulty as a beginner while choosing their art supply. As a beginner, I also faced the same problem. As a beginner, I was not so aware of what to buy and what not to and due to this, I wasted lots of time in the store and of course at last money. But making mistakes is always good. Right? So as today we are going to learn about oil painting, we will talk about the oil painting perspective.
As a beginner, you have to keep in mind that buying only the necessary things will help you out to understand the difference between them and only then you will find the perfect supply in which you are comfortable with as well as it will help you to gain experience. But remember to always start with the basics rather going for the difficult one in the beginning.
Basic supplies for Oil Painting:
- Oil Painting Brusher - Painting brushes are something in which it is recommended to spend wisely as it is one of the important supply of the oil painting. The main problem of the cheap quality brushes is that it shed hair and lose their shape very soon and also the hair quality of the brush is not so good that is why it does not retain the color very well. That is why it is recommended to spend money on good brushes.
The second thing which you need to know about oil painting brushes is that they are of different shapes and sizes. The use of different brushes depends upon the type of painting you are doing like portraits, landscapes etc. For a beginner, the basic brushes are the flat brushes of different sizes along with some small round brushes for detailing and a fan brush for blending process.
The third thing which you have to keep in as a beginner is to clean the brushes after use. No matter how good quality brush you use for your painting, if you don’t clean your brush properly, it will lose its longevity. For cleaning, you can use a good brush cleaner and preserver.
- Oil Paint – Oil paints vary in quality and price. There are both good and bad quality colors present in today’s market. As a beginner, you have to go for the medium quality oil paint colors. It is not wise to spend lots of money on colors in the beginning. Buying a medium quality color will help you understand and experiment with them. Once you are experienced enough you can buy good quality colors.
Oil Painting Medium – Why to use mediums in oil painting? Mediums are used in oil paint to slow down the drying time, adapt the consistency and also it is very helpful when applying different layers of colors.
- But you have to keep in mind that many medium has the yellow texture which turns the colors into little yellowish, therefore you have to be careful while using the light colors. There different medium available for oil painting and of course they have different quality. The most commonly used medium is the Linseed oil and Poppy oil. NOTE: Linseed oil is used for dark colors and Poppy oil is used for light colors
There are other medium available for oil painting other than linseed oil and poppy oil.
- Canvas and other Supports – As we were choosing the colors, the same way we have to choose the canvas and other supports for oil painting. It is important to know what you want to paint. As a beginner, you should use small or medium canvas. There are different canvas available for oil painting like cotton canvas, linen canvas, priming and sizing canvas, sizing canvas etc.
Palette – Palette is something which is totally of your choice. There are different palettes available in the market which are made of different materials like wood, glass, plastic. The most commonly used palette is the plastic palette.
- Even, if you are creative enough, you can create your own palette through cardboard cut-out or any old plastic plate.
Tips for Oil Painting:
When you are satisfied with your brush and colors, make sure you have a clean and right palette. You have to choose the palette should be porous so that it does not absorb oil from the paint. For a beginner it will be good to start with limited colors on the palette otherwise mixing too many colors will cause confusion in painting and look like muddy.
First, you should get into the habit of laying out your colors the same way every time you paint. This is just good practice and keeps the painting process flowing nicely. Arrange your colors along the edges of your palette leaving a lot of room in the center for mixing.
Don't be afraid to squeeze out a good amount of paint, especially your whites. You will be more productive if you aren't continuously stopping to squeeze out more paint.
Make certain to include all of the colors you think you will need to complete that session of painting as well. Again, this will make you more productive.
When adding paint to the palette, I have found that squeezing the paint out in long lines, as opposed to puddles, keeps my colors cleaner. When you have puddles of paint, they tend to get soiled by other colors when mixing. With a long line of paint, you can just take paint from the end as needed and not dirty the rest. Keep some rags or paper towels handy for wiping your palette knife clean.
It's a good idea to continuously wipe your palette clean during the painting process. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to remove dried up oil paint. Keep some alcohol handy so that you can keep the mixing area of your palette clean.
I hope these tips have helped. And you can send me your paintings on my FB page or mail me on email@example.com and I will post your painting on the FB page of Sketchy.
For more queries, you can contact us at the contact us page.
- Set of 12 assorted shades in 9 ml tube
- Confirms to safety standard ASTM- AP certification
- Best result can be seen on canvas and Oil Sketching Paper
- Detailed Controlled Abilities and Excellent Alternative to Natural Brushes. Designed for Everyone - From Fine Arts Students To Professional Artists.
- 60ml Linseed Oil
- Camel Purified Linseed Oil is a suitable medium for oil painting
- It is doubly-refined to remove all wax impurities to produce a very clear liquid
- It adds flexibility to the oil colour
- Polycotton cloth for better strength. Triple coats of primer & one coat of acid free sizing.
- Rigid Support. Medium Grain Texture .Universal Coating - suitable for all painting techniques.
- Ideal for Oils & Acrylics .Individual shrink wrapped & bubble wrapped.
- Buy 4 Canvas Boards at the price of 3.